Sunday, April 10, 2011

Drinking Wine, Watching The Lion King, and Painting

What a life.

I really enjoy the "I Just Can't Wait to be King" scene from the Lion King. It really reminds me of an older version of the opening scene from Kung Fu Panda, the dream fantasy scene. Both were focused on vibrant colors and intense patterns, across epic landscapes. They don't necessarily get hung up on depicting what's "real", choosing instead to show what's interesting. Focusing entirely on the inner desires of the main characters. Reminds me of the old saying; "don't spoil a good story with the truth."

Don't get me wrong, I love the old hand-drawn cartoon style, and I love the new hyper-realistic computer animation. But can't mainstream movies sometimes just... go crazy? Experiment with colors, shapes, try new ways to animate the same old things! I'm not saying I want an acid trip for the next family-friendly kids film [ok, maybe once in a while ;)], but try something new, and people will respond favorably.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out the videos on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGIoRUlzE2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxLeh_HSEDY&feature=related

Edit: Jennifer Yuh Nelson, who directed just that opening scene of the first movie, is said to be the director of the entire Kung Fu Panda sequel, slated to be released in 2011. Score a win for good ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment