Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Memory of Light Cover

I recently started re-reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, in anticipation of the last book coming out next January. I had forgotten how addicting a long epic fantasy series has been. I recently finished a batch of commissioned shoe designs, and with nothing else on my workbench at the moment, I've been lounging on my couch and reading quite a bit more than normal.

At first glance, I wouldn't have fallen in love with this cover, but after reading Michael Whelan's notes I find I like it a lot better. Though I love fantasy novels and the intricate covers that are so specific to the genre, sometimes I feel that they can get so overworked and cheesy that I can't stand it. But I love seeing the work in progress, because there's just so much good stuff in there. Getting the right model and the proper costuming is a nightmare, my least favorite part of working in a realistic style. But I have to say, it makes a difference in the end. And all those colors, in the detail of the rocks! They get covered and passed over with the title and author text on there, but the background is my favorite part of this jacket. There's just more than meets the eye, perfect for this dense and detailed series.

Well done, Michael Whelan.



Full Article

No comments:

Post a Comment